Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tolerance vs. Compromise


I was reading the latest post from A Life in the Arts (see link to the right) and I started thinking about intolerance and what that means.  It is the nature of mankind to have biases and prejudices (definitions: if I am biased, I will rule a specific way if I can; if I am prejudiced, I will rule a specific way regardless).  It is our task to overcome those biases and prejudices and to work towards loving people the way Jesus does and to follow His example.  In the course of my life, I like to think that I have done a good job loving people regardless of race, color, creed or sexual orientation.  I work to look past the appearance and attitudes to see the person inside - the one God sees and loves.

The tricky part for me has been to do so without compromising my faith and God's Word.  Being tolerant of a person doesn't mean that I overlook or accept the lifestyle, the sin, the choices that directly violate scripture.  I am not confrontational about my views nor do I choose to slam people over the head with the bible.  At the same time, if I am asked I will present my views and back them up with the Word.  I work hard to do so in a gentle, loving way and yet do so in such a way as to not appear that I don't take the scripture seriously.  I will admit that at times this has been very difficult.  I think the area I struggle with the most is when I see someone I care about making choices - and mistakes - similar to ones I have made.  The temptation to lambaste the and berate them into making a course correction is almost overwhelming.  I find myself becoming intolerant and unloving.

The other situation that causes me to struggle with patience and love is when someone insists that in order to be "tolerant" I have to embrace and support a lifestyle, a choice or an agenda that I know is in direct conflict with God's plan for us.   Many in our society today apply this pressure and that annoys me to no end.  Tolerance isn't good enough - we are commanded to compromise as well.  And when we don't we are branded as intolerant, fanatics and bigots - labels that I vehemently reject.

I will tolerate, love and embrace my brothers and sisters regardless of their color, creed or lifestyle - but I refuse to compromise my faith, my beliefs or my God.  Jesus loves all of us but He doesn't embrace our sin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really like your wording "Being tolerant of a person doesn't mean that I overlook or accept the lifestyle, the sin, the choices that directly violate scripture" exactly the words I have been looking for :)

The conclusion is good too....