Friday, February 5, 2010

Finding the Right Word


Using the right (and best) word to convey an idea, concept or emotion has always been a passion of mine.  I have never talked down to my children and have strongly encouraged them to always ask what a word means if they don't understand it.  I have, at times, read the books of certain authors with a dictionary at my side.  I am always on the lookout for a new word that more eloquently expresses a thought by the use of a few obscure syllables (why use a paragraph when a single word will do).

On occasion, I have caught flack for this.  A dear friend from a former time used to complain that a dictionary and thesaurus was needed anytime I posted a message or sent an email.  I also had someone at a family gathering sneer at my manner of communicating and suggest that I was, in effect, "putting on airs."  Of course anyone who actually knows me understands that this is the way I talk.  It has nothing to do with snobbery and everything with effective communication.  Elegance, eloquence and effectiveness in communication is one of the greatest legacies I can leave my children.  Understanding how to use words will take you far in this world.

No comments: