Monday, March 10, 2008

Facing the Future

There seems to be a fatal flaw in most people. It manifests most strongly in children but seems to exist in many of us (I avoid saying "all" only because I am sure that someone, somewhere does not have this flaw). It is this - we can't see beyond our actions to the consequences. You see this often in the choices teens make. We get so caught up in what we want that we forget that there is a price to pay after the dust settles.

The most stark and compelling example of this in my life is chronicled in sparse detail below (March 5, When Bad Things Happen). When I chose to leave my first wife, dealing with the issues of a blended family were nowhere on my map; nor was the pain of looking my children in the eyes when they sobbed "why." I focused on my own discontent and ignored (or failed to properly consider) the question "now what?" I ignored all who tried to warn me including my God.

Over the course of the last 10 years I have had the answer to the question of "now what" hammered home many times. I love my wife and stepchildren dearly and can not imagine life without them (or NO). At the same time I recognize that the vast majority of the struggles over that same time are as a direct result of that initial decision.

I like to think that I am older and wiser and that I make better choices. The truth is that without constant vigilance (and yes - prayer) I am still in danger of making destructive choices today. Perhaps one of the things that has changed is that I am (a little) more willing to listen to advice from people that have walked down my paths, see where they lead and love me enough to warn me. I work to surround myself with other Christians who will gently (or not) let me know when I am straying from the "safe" paths and correct me. At those time I (mostly) listen - and when I don't, God is standing there waiting when I crawl back to Him broken and bleeding to guide and help me as I deal with the consequences.

Blessings on your day

2 comments:

LL said...

Am I one of the "not so gently" :-0

I think we are ALL prone to make destructive decisions; hence the desperate need of Grace.

The Wizard said...

I know sister and I respect that about you.

I agree