Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My Eyes Are Dry


One of Keith Green's songs has been running through my head this morning.   It reminds me that we can't get complacent about God or growth.  I find it easy to get complacent about the things of God - taking His blessings for granted, thinking I have "arrive" (that one about killed me a decade or so back), slacking on daily study and prayer....   It is easy for me to get complacent about growth - especially in my recover.   Lose touch with my sponsor, start missing meetings, forget to read/review my study guides.

Complacency leads to all of the things in the song below.  It leads to apathy, indifference and eventually to a fading that slides into death and destruction without us ever realizing what is happening.   Wake up, get that virtual coffee and start moving your feet.   Without movement, God can't direct our steps, lead us on the path or work in our lives.  And without those things, we might as well be dead.

 My eyes are dry

My eyes are dry
My faith is old
My heart is hard
My prayers are cold
And I know how I ought to be
Alive to You and dead to me
But what can be done
For an old heart like mine
Soften it up
With oil and wine
The oil is You, Your Spirit of love
Please wash me anew
With the wine of Your Blood

No comments: