Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Turn Around


I started commenting on one of Andy's posts (see link to the right) and decided the topic was worthy of more than just a comment.

Andy wrote: "See it isn't the outward obedience, its a heart issue"

Yeah, that is always the case. There are many Christians that look good on the outside. They stand in the assembly, serve in the church and are praised by their peers. Yet they do it only for recognition and acclaim.  It is about looking good, maintaining the image, the status and sadly, feeling good about themselves.  Of them, Jesus will say on the last day "I never knew you."

It is far easier to change the outward appearance than to work a genuine and lasting change in the heart. This requires surrender which is something many Christians just can't do.  I have struggled with this for years.  I have looked good on the outside while the inside was rotting.  Now I am starting to turn that inside out.  As I become transparent and genuine, my outside looks rotten.  At the same time, my heart is undergoing restoration, renewal and rebirth.  I find that some people pull back and withdraw in the face of my revelations while some step forward and embrace me.  Regardless of the reaction, I choose to continue this journey.

I also recognize that I have far indeed yet to travel.  Some days the heart change drives my decisions - other days it seems like my old heart is back.   Through it all, however, I refuse to surrender.   I give you the lyrics to my (current) favorite Skillet song - Awake and Alive

I’m awake I’m alive
Now I know what I believe inside
Now it’s my time
I’ll do what I want ’cause this is my life
here, right now
I’ll stand my ground and never back down
I know what I believe inside
I’m awake and I’m alive

No comments: