Thursday, December 10, 2009

Old Friends


Ok, maybe not THAT old but still friends  :o)   Had breakfast this morning at Panera Breads with J.R.  We haven't talked for a long time - close to a year probably.  And truth be told, I have always held back part of myself from the friendship.  Today I let him the rest of the way inside me and told him - well, everything.  As always, he took it in stride and wondered why I waited so long.

Good friends are not necessarily hard to find as much as they take work.  I have quite a few acquaintances but it seems few real friends (yes Domo-buddy and LH, you are both in that select crowd).  Men seem to struggle with this a lot more than women do.  It is so much harder for us to really be totally open and honest with other men.  I guess the fear of being judged is deeply ingrained in us from early childhood onward.

I feel truly blessed to have the friends in my life that I do.   I am working hard to develop some more of these deep, genuine relationships.  The men that I am learning to know in my Tuesday night men's group are amazing and I know that some of them will be friends for life.

To all my friends, old or new - thank you!

No comments: