Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Because We Care


I saw that slogan this morning on a delivery truck.  The interesting part is that the truck was delivering caskets.  I guess at some level I understand the desire of the living to honor those who pass, but spending massive amounts of money on something that holds a body and is buried in the ground (or put on a shelf in a mausoleum) seems a little silly to me.  Of course I am also a huge fan of cremation and so don't see a lot of value in burying people anyway.

I have known people that have had to borrow money to buy the plot and the casket.  I have gone to eulogies, memorial services and funerals.  The ones that I remember best tend to be those that are actual celebrations.  There is such a huge difference between the service for a strong believer and the service for a non-believer.  The believer knew what waited on the other side and the family (mostly) knows where they are.  For us, it is a graduation ceremony.  We have finished the program, completed the course and now get to enjoy the rewards of a life lived for God.

Don't bury me, don't spend money on a casket or a plot in a cemetery.  Cremate me and scatter my ashes in the surf off the NorCal coast.  Then sit down, have some wine and remember my life.

My $0.02

No comments: