Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Great Struggle

I have come to the conclusion that life is rarely easy, calm or fair. It seems that no matter how many mountains you conquer, there is another one waiting as you crest the ridge. I will confess that sometimes I ask God for a time of rest and whine at Him. Intellectually I know that He is in control and that He has a plan. Intellectually I know that He never allows more than I can handle. Sometimes however, all of the preceding seems rather nebulous.

Over the course of the last several weeks I have read the writings of the prophets Jeremiah and Ezekiel. This has served alternately as an encouragement and a source of despair. I look at how faithful they both were to continue proclaiming God's Word to an obstinate and uncaring generation - that encourages me to persevere. I also see that neither of them got any encouragement or support from the people around them or their circumstances. They both spent their entire ministry in "The Great Struggle" without any relief at all - this serves as a source of despair to me.

I have to constantly remind myself that this life is temporary and is primarily so that God can work a change in me. I hold on to the promises that His grace is sufficient and that He will supply what I need. I strive to spend more time on my knees and less time whining and I hold on to what I know no matter what I feel.

blessings on your day

No comments: