Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Pain Shared


One of the things that I am learning is that pain shared is pain lessened. We are relational creatures (created in God's image - the ultimate relational being) and function best when connected to others. For me this has been a hard thing as I am, by nature, reclusive. I envy my wife her ability to dive into someone's life and connect deeply. Opening up for me is a struggle. I find it easy to listen and comfort others who are hurting but have a very difficult time reaching out when the pain is my own.

As E and I work on our marriage, I recognize that this is an area that needs improvement. I cherish my friends and will continue to work at being more open and transparent.

blessing on your day

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your willingness to acknowledge this as being an area that needs to be worked on. I also respect you for making it a priority for our marriage. Love you
E

Anonymous said...

Hey Daddy-o,
Glad to see your honesty and openness. I have definitely seen an improvement in our relationship so I am sure those closer to you in proximity are experiencing it too.

Are you and E going through that book still? How is it going?

The Wizard said...

Yes we are. We are about 2/3 through it. Most excellent book. We read it aloud to each other and will discuss it on occasion. It is definitely a book for improving relationships as well as one that must be processed slowly and thoroughly.