Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Humble


There was an excellent article on humility posted on one of the blogs to the left. What makes it so interesting is that while written over 1600 years ago, it reads like it was written last week. I find myself convicted by much of what St. Ephrem the Syrian wrote as he chastised himself. It reminds me of the topic of several discussions lately on the subject of integrity and tolerance.

It is very easy to rant and rave at the flaws in celebrities, politicians or our family members. It is much more difficult to deal with our own when they are exposed (whether to the public or by our Lord). How much would people really respect us if they knew everything about us? Better yet, what right do we have to pass judgment on the flaws of others while hiding our own?

All too often I find myself guilty of exactly that. Today I will work at acting with integrity even when no one is watching and tolerating the flaws of those around me.

1Samuel 16:7 But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

No comments: