Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Lemonade


"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade" as the old saying goes. Things rarely turn out the way we envision them. We get side-tracked, the bus is late, the job market dries up or it rains for the first time on that day in July in recorded history. Regardless of what it is, it isn't what we planned.

I have, in the past, posted my thoughts on why "bad things happen to good people" so I won't repeat that here. I have a good friend who is going through a life change that he did not see coming nor would have asked for. As he walks through this time he works hard to see opportunities rather than trials. He works to keep positive and gentle rather than becoming hard, cold, bitter and angry.

I see him as an example to me - there are far too many things in my life that I have not been able to let go. Things I see as disaster rather than opportunity. For me, the struggle is intense as it goes against my very core beliefs. Small hurts I can let go of - even moderate hurts. The problem lies in the deepest hurts - the ones that wound the very depths of the heart.

No comments: