Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Living with Cancer (pt 1)

Cancer is a disease that impacts everyone in the family. This posting is the first in a series that chronicles how it impacted OUR family.

Getting a cancer diagnosis is always a slightly surreal experience. I remember looking at the doctor in unbelief when he suggested a prostate biopsy (excuse me, would you please repeat the part where you explain how they do that?!?!?). As my dad had a radical prostectomy only 12 year prior, I was already starting to fret. High on my list of phobias is getting “cut on.” BTW, this now includes needle-biopsies.

When the results came back positive for cancer (3+3 in half the samples, type 1B) my wife and I were in shock and denial for weeks. For me as the patient, my focus was on the treatment and side-effects there-of. I had watched my dad struggle for years with the results of the surgery and I KNEW I wasn’t going to go there personally. For my wife, it was the crushing fear of ending up living her life without me at her side.

In a lot of ways, it is easier for the Christian to face their OWN mortality than that of a loved one.

No comments: