Friday, February 22, 2008

Good Morning NorCal!

And a top-o-the-mornin to y'all :) I would say it is a bright, sun-shiny morning, but it isn't. Of course that doesn't make it less good either. It is grey and damp - not really raining, just "wet air." It is a perfect morning for a hot cup of tea (for you English types) or a steaming mug of cocoa with lots of marshmallows.

The verse for today (below) is a reminder that God is paying attention. I have listened to many Christian complain about stuff that other people appear to be getting away with. God isn't sleeping, watching a movie or using IM. He sees everything that happens and is perfectly Just. Now "justice" is an interesting word. Many of us (especially Americans) equate Justice with Fairness. The latter is not a word found in the Word. Fairness is a completely human concept. When my kids tell me something isn't fair what they are really saying is that things aren't working out the way they want them to.

Justice means getting what we deserve. Justice implies the possibility of mercy without guaranteeing the practice. Justice must not be confused with Consequences (see the posts from Wednesday). God is Just and everyone will get what they deserve as defined under the Law. By His grace and mercy, those of us that call Him Lord and Savior don't have to pay the price.

The next time you see a non-Christian "getting away with murder" stop and pray for them rather than envying them.

Blessings on your day

Nahum 1:3 The Lord is slow to get angry, but his power is great, and he never lets the guilty go unpunished. He displays his power in the whirlwind and the storm. The billowing clouds are the dust beneath his feet.

2 comments:

LL said...

I have to admit that this is an area of struggle for me as well. It isn't limited to non-Christians; I feel the same way about my brothers and sisters in Christ. Sometimes I really get into that place where I want to know my life (or someone else's life) is so hard and filled with trial while others seem to float through life on a breeze.
Sometimes, I really want to know "why" and cry out against the "unfairness" of it all.

The Wizard said...

You are not alone in this. We have a tendency to judge based on this world and forget that most (all??) rewards and "punishments" come in he next