Friday, June 4, 2010

A Sinking Feeling


I was reading about the sinkhole in Guatemala City this week.  As I looked at the images and read the descriptions of what happened and why I was struck by how similar that is to my own life.   Often, things look great on the surface.   Underneath, however, decay and erosion are destroying the foundations.   When the collapse comes, people marvel at the destruction and express amazement that such a thing could happen.

The interesting thing about the Guatemalan event was that this wasn't isolated.  In fact a similar event occurred several years ago.  It turns out that the city is built on a deep bed of volcanic ash and pumice which is easily eroded by uncontrolled and unconstrained water systems.  The foundation isn't solid and things that erode the foundation aren't "controlled."   How like our own lives this is.  Both of the factors that lead to this disaster are dangerous and the combination is deadly.

I look at my own life and see the damage that has been caused when I allowed "erosion processes" to exist essentially unchecked.  I look at the damage that was caused because I built things on a foundation that wasn't solid.  Like the city in the picture, I have a lot of work to do to repair and fill in the "hole."  Like Guatemala City I have to make a choice about what to do next.   Repair without addressing the underlying issue guarantees another disaster down the road a piece.  Corrective actions that are started and never finished only delay (and sometimes increase the magnitude of) the inevitability of the next disaster.

Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.

Blessings on your day

No comments: