Tuesday, March 2, 2010

When We Can't


So much of my life has been a battle - mostly to get what I can't/shouldn't have (the other huge area is running from what I *DO* get but that is a different post).  This can equate to stuff, accomplishments, relationships or even peace.  Sometimes when we strive and fight for things that God has placed out of our reach, we grow.  Much of the time, however, we end up frustrated, unhappy or in pain - this happens when God has already said "no" or "wait" and we ignore Him.  We struggle to get that shiny, new car, that vacation home, the promotion we "deserve" or the mate that catches our eye (and our lust).

Sometimes the thing we pursue is what we call "peace."  Of course the irony in this is that when we pursue what God withholds from us, peace is about the last thing we achieve.  I struggle with contentment a lot.   I  am, quite frankly, dissatisfied with where I am in my life (ignoring that it is almost completely the result of my own poor choices).  Yet I know that Paul exhorts us to learn contentment.   God's patience with me overwhelms me at times, I seem to struggle with the same things over and over again (even if you ignore the addiction struggles).   Like love and faith, contentment is a choice - and one I make far too infrequently.

blessings on your day

No comments: