Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Retirement


Many of us look forward to the day we can retire.  The plans for after retirement vary from traveling to playing golf to doing nothing.  Interestingly enough, the bible has no mention of people retiring.  Instead, the Word is replete with examples of individuals who worked every day of their lives, often taking on new tasks or "careers" as they aged.  My favorite story is about Caleb who was well into his 80's when Israel finally entered the Promised Land.   When the time came to divide up the land, Caleb asked for the hill country where there were "large fortifications" as his inheritance.  He then proceeded to cleanse the land of Hebron at age 85.

My father in law is of the same mindset.  He has "retired" from numerous careers and has continued to work his entire life.  Our lives are not over until God calls us home.  I don't know what ministry God will have for me when I reach my 80's but I know that I need to be ready, able and willing to take on whatever tasks, careers or callings He places on my heart.

blessings on your day

No comments: