Thursday, March 18, 2010

He Promised


God's promises never fail - we are told this time and again in the Word.  Yet this is one of the easiest things to forget.  When circumstances don't go the way we hope/plan/desire, we can lose sight of God's promises.  When we are in the midst of the fire or in a trial it is easy to lose hope and give in to despair.  The promises of God can, at times, seem out of reach - the result of a pipe dream or fantasy.  Yet we are told over and over that He always keeps His Word and that His promises never, ever fail.

Sometimes we doubt - we doubt the "plan," the promise or even that God is paying attention.  One of the reasons for this might be feeling uncertain regarding God's plan and promises.  For many of the situations that arise in our lives, God's plan, purpose and promises are actually quite clear.  His Word sets forth His Will quite distinctly if we take the time to read and study it.

For me, the issue comes down to one of faith and of timing.  I either have a hard time trusting - or more commonly - I feel like God isn't paying attention.  Things are not moving as fast as I like, in the direction I like or in the way that I like.  As a result I start feeling that God isn't listening or that His promises don't apply to me or my situation.  But I know (in my head)  that this simply isn't true.  Moving that belief from my head to my heart is a task that seems to be beyond my ability most days.  Fortunately God doesn't need our cooperation in order to keep His promises - no matter what our heart tells us, His promises NEVER fail.

"Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise."  Hebrews 10:23, NLT

No comments: