Monday, March 15, 2010

Are You a Slave?


I have been listening to Romans on my iPod this morning.  What a powerful letter Paul wrote!  One of the things that he says here is stuck in my head.  Paul states emphatically that we will all be slaves to something/someone.  We bind ourselves to God or we are bound by sin (and our sinful nature).  I am reminded of Dylan's song Gotta Serve Somebody.  The truth is that we will end up serving and in slavery one way or another.  All too often we choice "autonomy" which means we end up a slave to our sinful nature.

As an addict, I have traveled that road many times.  It is hugely destructive not just to myself, but to everyone around me.  As I start working on the positive aspects of my moral inventory, I recognize that I don't want to end up enmeshed in the negative again.  I recognize that I have potential and that God can use me if I allow Him to.

As Joshua stated so well in the end of his farewell address - "Choose this day whom you will serve."

No comments: