Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Forgiveness


Sunday we had a guest singer, Lisa Daggs.  She was seriously country (which isn't a bad thing) and had just released a new album.  The title track is "Forgiveness Is A Powerful Thing."  What a great song!   Letting go of the past wrongs and hurts is so very freeing.  Too often we hold on to things and people that have caused us pain.  We rehearse the incident over and over.  We replay it from different angles - editing to change the outcome, get in that perfect retort or lash out at the focus of the hurt.

Some people nurse grudges for years and years - others seem to be able to forgive and forget in the space between heartbeats.  I fall somewhere in between.  As a general rule, I can forgive easily.  Where I struggle is with  people who take advantage of that fact to hurt me repeatedly.  There have been several times in my life that I have accepted the apology, offered forgiveness, restored a relationship only to have that person turn around and betray or hurt me all over again.  Yet I know that I have done the same thing to God.  I have fallen on my face, confessed my sins, sought forgiveness and healing only to stand back up and do the same thing all over again.   Forgiveness is a powerful thing - check out Lisa's website if you get the chance.

blessings on your day

No comments: