Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Inventory Time



At Step 4, we take a moral (honest) inventory of ourselves.  Being raised Lutheran, I am pretty good at guilt (is darn close to RC in that regard).  What I am less good at is recognizing the positive aspects of my life and my character.  Over the last few months I have confronted many of my flaws and failures as I have come to grips with my addictions.  This has been a painful and often brutal process but extremely necessary if my recovery is to be genuine and lasting.

To do a personal inventory correctly (and as completely as is possible at this point in my life) means to find balance.  If you focus on the flaws and faults, you spiral down into despair.  If you focus on the successes and achievements you are in denial.  Finding a balance almost always means having a mentor (sponsor, accountability partner) at your side to help you.  Staying balanced and staying "real" is my challenge for the next couple of months.  Please be in prayer for me through this process.

No comments: