Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Float Like a Butterfly



I was talking to a fellow addict this morning and the topic turned to "what works" as far as sobriety.  He mentioned that he has run into addicts that seem to assume he will fail (because he isn't doing what they would do).   I understand that as I have run into some of that myself.   One thing I am learning is that it takes a long time to develop a "program" to stay healthy and sober - the things that work today may not necessarily work tomorrow.

Developing new patterns in our lives is HARD.  The enemy is constantly on the prowl looking for ways to trip us up.  As we continue the journey of sobriety, we need to be aware of this and be continually looking for more ways to grow, get healthy and stay sober.   For me, the first sign of trouble is the tendency to withdraw and to hide.  When I see this (or have it brought to my attention) it acts as an alarm bell.  It means it is time to step up the pace, dig deeper and reach out to others.

Thanks for listening and for walking along side me as I share my recovery.

No comments: