Friday, December 18, 2009

After a Long Week




Coming to the close of the (work) week today.  Yesterday afternoon we had a brief power outage at work where I learned that the UPS under my desk no longer has the "U" part.  (UPS = Uninterruptible Power Supply, in short a battery backup system).   This morning I got up before the sun (not hard to do this time of year) and headed over to Panera Breads for the men's bible study.  Today we focused on remembering how God has blessed us this last year :o)  I find that I have a great deal to be thankful for - including an amazing wife, awesome children and wonderful friends.

This Christmas will be a struggle for me (and mine) more so than usual.  As I strip away my prior coping mechanisms (my addictions), I am left with very few tools for handling the stress that comes with holidays in blended families.  To add challenges to that, 2 of the nights that I usually attend recovery meetings are preempted by Christmas and New Year's celebrations for the next two weeks.  Actually this is an opportunity for me to find my OWN methods and strategies for coping and staying in recovery.  I am quite sure God will see me through it safely.

I was talking to Rae today about this and letting her know that I regret how unavailable I am to her and her siblings right now and expressing my hope that this will help me be a healthier and more available dad in the future.

Tonight Emma and I are attending my company "holiday" party.  Sunday we are taking Noah to see The Nutcracker downtown.   Saturday I help K-Man with math and try to get all the chores done for the weekend,

have a blessed day

No comments: