Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Are You Happy?


"Happiness is an imaginary condition, formerly attributed by the living to the dead, now usually attributed by adults to children, and by children to adults."
  - Thomas Szasz

 I found that quote very interesting when I read it the other day.   Everywhere I go, I hear people complain that they aren't really happy.  The harder you listen, the more you will hear this.  It comes from store clerks, shoppers, co-workers, neighbors, family and friends.  No one it seems, is happy any more.  As the years pass by, I have come to realize that what most people mean by "happy" is really being content.   They are not satisfied with where they are, how they live, what they do, what they have or who they know.   In short, we have become a society of the discontented.

A large part of that has to do with expectations - we feel we deserve to be happy/content.  And we have decided that it is things/people/places that will make the difference.  The truth is that being content has nothing to do with any of that.  Being content means that you have decided that you are "ok" with all of the above.

Yeah, I will admit that there are a lot of times when I don't make that choice - and at the same time I am (slowly) recognizing that it IS a choice.  I am where God has me and it is where I need to be to grow, mature and learn.  I can "choose" to grumble. complain and try to get what I have "decided" I need to be happy - or I can trust God, enjoy the moment and walk the road in front of me.

Expect to see this topic again  :o)

blessings on your day

No comments: