Friday, January 30, 2009

Trust Me


Regular readers of this blog will find this topic familiar as it is one of my favorites. This time the trigger for the musings is a book I am reading. My future son-in-law got me the biography of J Hudson Taylor for Christmas. Most of you have undoubtedly never heard of Mr. Taylor. He was an English missionary from the 19th century who was largely responsible for the spread of the gospel message in China and had a huge influence in building the church there into what it is today.

Hudson Taylor believed very strongly in exercising his faith - something that modern Christians do infrequently if at all. He determined early in his life that God was calling him to work in China (this during an era in which westerners were severely persecuted if they left the main port cities like Hong Kong). He quickly recognized that in order for this to succeed, God would have to have a very direct hand in the ministry.

Hudson Taylor chose to decline any subsidies or sponsorships. He practiced trusting God for his daily sustenance. Rather than hound his forgetful employer for wages, he asked God to provide. Over and over we see examples of how God kept Hudson supplied with what he needed to survive. Over and over we see Hudson rely solely on the providence of God.

For my own life, I struggle greatly with this. To place all my trust in God and to no to rely on my own strength is enormously difficult. I am encouraged and inspired by this book and would recommend it to any serious Christian.

blessings on your day

1 comment:

Karen said...

I feel the same way about George Muller. I think we forget that those who came before us can still teach, encourage and inspire us. I'll check it out.