Monday, December 8, 2008

The Slow Road


It has been quite a while since my last posting and longer still since any substance. The holiday times continue to be a season of struggle for me. Over the years, I have come to feel like an alien within my extended family - an outsider or visitor with little or nothing in common with most of them other than genetics. I watch bigotry be tolerated. I see verbal abuse as the standard for interaction. I see the next generation lacking basic skills like respect and politeness. I see some family members so out of control as to present physical danger to the younger children.

I struggle with the loss of cohesion and intimacy within my own family as the children grow, move on with their lives, and retreat behind a facade of small talk and pleasantry.

The meaning of Christmas seems lost amidst the chaos of shopping, preparations and marketing. Even the church is so caught up in pageantry and extravaganza to the that the message of Jesus is diluted and watered down or absent entirely.

This is the season when we are remembering the birth of a Savior, let us work harder to keep Him at the center of our Christmas.

blessings on your day

No comments: