Friday, November 21, 2008

Holidays


I don't know what the holidays are like for you (this year and others). I know that for me and mine, things are not what they once were. My peers grew up in a world where families stayed in the area for generations and divorce was rare and never discussed about. Such is not the case today.

I don't want to get into a long discussion about the circumstances and the choices that brought us to this place - instead I want to talk about how we cope. The scene above is from the Time-Life archives and shows an image from what I remember as a kid. The holidays were a time when the family came together to celebrate, eat, reminisce and laugh.

Today it is a time of anxiety and stress. Who will be at which house for what meal? Are we celebrating on the "day of" or a day before/after? Which "ex" can be invited and what relatives won't show if they are? Whose traditions will we use this year? Which children will be there on which days?

As a child and later as a young man I looked forward to the holidays. They represented a time of joy, relaxation and comfort. Today they represent a time of stress, anxiety and grieving over loss. I know that I am not alone in this - more and more of the families in my life have been shattered by tragedy of some sort (some due to outside influences, some due to choices).

This year my prayer is that we reach out to those for whom this holiday season is not one of joy and hope. This year let us come together to make new families. Let's focus on the reasons rather than the seasons (trite but still applicable). Let's recognize those that are struggling and walk along side them. And let's not assume that everyone is "fine" even when they say they are.

blessings on your day

1 comment:

Ashley Michelle said...

It's unfortunate that so many feel the same way you do. I know holidays have been a drag for me, since I was young. As an adult, I realize things will never be the way I want... there will always be stress. I am thankful to have all the family I do... including friends who are family. I wish I could be there, but you know that my heart rejoices with you all no matter where I am.