Saturday, November 1, 2008

If God Could Talk



(repost from Bar'chu et Adonia)

I admit it, I listen to secular music. I love Rock'n'Roll and recently acquired some of the works of Meat Loaf. In general, I would not say that his music is either uplifting or inspiring. However, this morning I was listening to one of the songs titled "If God Could Talk" and I was struck by how much this echoes the cry of our generation and our society.

Poll after poll declares that people believe in god (small 'g' is deliberate as the pollsters make little effort to find out what "god" people believe in). Yet if you ask your friends, neighbors, colleagues or random strangers the last time God spoke to them, almost without exception they will simply blink at you (insert "deer in the headlights" image :).

God does speak. He did it of old and He does it today. The problem is not that God does not speak, it is that we have stopped listening. I recently finished reading Jeremiah, the weeping prophet. Jeremiah had the unenviable task of speaking God's word to a generation that had completely abandon Him. The longer I live, the more I feel that we are living in the same generation as Jeremiah. How long will God continue to allow our deafness to continue? At some point (and probably soon), He will lose patience and call for an ending.

Are you listening?

Revelation 2:7 'He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will grant to eat of the tree of life which is in the Paradise of God.'

No comments: