Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Godly Counsel



This is the topic of Walt Henrichsen's Thought for Today. It seems that when we ignore the counsel of those around us that have wisdom, we often end up places we would rather not go. There isn't room to post all the times this has happened to me. My life is littered with the wreckage of bad choices - choices that others tried to counsel me against. I have always been one to insist that I know what I am doing - that I know what is best for ME.

"People usually get into trouble when they try to function outside their expertise; they fail to follow the counsel of proven men. Most will agree that the decisions they made and later regretted would never have been made in the first place if they had submitted to the counsel of proven men."

When it comes to expertise in the area of life-choices, none of us are wise (except in our own eyes). It seems that we are incapable of learning from the mistakes of others and insist on the right to ruin our own lives. What little wisdom I possess has been acquired the hard way; by choosing poorly and ending up face down in the dirt.

My prayer for you today (as well as for myself) is that you listen to what the people closest to you have to say.

blessings on your day
_________________________________________________________
"But as he was speaking the king said to him, "Have we made you a royal counselor? Stop! Why should you be put to death?" So the prophet stopped, but said, "I know that God has determined to destroy you, because you have done this and have not listened to my counsel." 2 Chronicles 25:16

1 comment: