Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Who's Your Buddy?


Today's devotional from Chuck Swindoll continues his study of the life of David. In this most recent message, he discusses the attributes of David's friendship with Jonathon. I quote in part:

You don't have to beg a close friend for a favor, which was certainly the case with Jonathan. "Jonathan stripped himself of the robe that was on him and gave it to David, with his armor, including his sword and his bow and his belt" (1 Samuel 18:4).... You can hardly impose on an intimate friend. He doesn't keep score. An intimate friend is there to assist whenever and in whatever way is needed. Unselfishness prevails. An intimate friend is a loyal defense before others. He's not a fair-weather friend. He won't talk against you when you're not around.

What a friendship! Swindoll starts by noting that this type of friend comes along only a few times in our lives (if at all). I have a number of friends; some online, some IRL. Many are good friends who will listen, comfort and pray with me. Only twice in my life, however, have I had the type of friend that Swindoll talks about here. This type of friendship must be cherished and nurtured.

My prayer for you today is that God brings a friend like Jonathon into your life.

2 comments:

LL said...

I have two such friends; love them both dearly. I also know people who don't have that kind of friend and that makes me sad.

The Wizard said...

Treasure them