Thursday, March 13, 2008

S/W Push

Getting ready for my first BIG s/w release (push). The task list runs to 2 pages and spans 5 hours. I will put in 13-14 hours today before I make it home. Fortunately I am eligible for OT pay (unlike my former life at The Money Store).

Had a nice lunch with E at Mimi's today. Saved 1/2 of it for my dinner tonight. SE is picking up NO from daycare and taking care of him tonight. She is a treasure!

Overall it has been more or less quiet today. E had a kind of difficult time last night. One of her patients was put on "Comfort Care" while she was there which means to push pain meds to keep them comfortable and wait for them to pass on. She also had a student with her at the time.

Oncology takes a special gift, that's for sure. Part of E's job is to help the family understand what is happening and to do whatever it takes to keep the patient in as little pain as possible. Often this means dispensing medication that would never be permitted under "normal" circumstances. It means holding someone's hand while they die and being a shoulder to cry on for the family.

E is an amazing woman and a phenomenal nurse. After less than 2 months she has already received numerous heartfelt thanks from families and patients including at least one letter to the hospital.

1 comment:

Ashley Michelle said...

I love E too :) Miss you guys.