Thursday, February 14, 2008

Databases are fun

Had a really rough day at work yesterday. The day started out with our production system teetering on the edge of collapse. I and my boss spent 4 hours monitoring it minute by minute to keep it running (we incur financial penalties if it isn't available or runs too slow). While this was going on, another system I was working on crashed and it took me until 3 p.m. to get it restored. Went to a meeting immediately following at which I failed (success = talk a lot and get no new assignments). Ended up with 3 action items....SIGH. Well at least it is better than management, eh?

2 comments:

The Wizard said...

Ya' know, half of this job is cleaning up someone else's mess. Yesterday was a result of some sloppy work by development (very inefficient program). Today I was putting back stuff that they asked me to delete 10 days ago. Gotta love it.

LL said...

oh don't even get me started ~ I just had a rant session yesterday at work with a coworker about having to spend too much time and energy cleaning up after others.

Laziness & incompetence reign supreme.